poniedziałek, 23 września 2024

DevOps engineer's starting pack

Let's pretend you have a new computer after you joined to a new company and you have to setup everything from scratch.

Usually I use macOS but it suits to a Linux machine even.

This is how my starting pack looks like:

  • Chrome browser (on my private machine I use Vivaldi but this is because many companies has Google Workspace),
  • Homebrew (a package manager),
  • KeePassXC (a password manager),
  • iTerm2 (a terminal emulator with a terminal split),
  • Oh My Zsh (manage your Zsh shell),
  • Visual Studio Code:
    • Terraform extension,
    • YAML extension,
    • Hashicorp HCL extension,
  • a GitHub account (I don't use my personal account but I create an account per company because sometime they want you to setup something additional what you maybe don't want),
  • AWS CLI,
  • aws-vault (store and access your AWS credentials),
  • kubectl,
  • kubectx (switch between your Kubernetes clusters),
  • Helm,
  • Python pip,
  • tfenv to switch between Terraform versions (you don't have to separately install Terraform),
  • Docker,
  • Vim:
    • add in ".vimrc" file in your home directory (start from the last position):
      au BufReadPost * if line("'\"") > 0 && line("'\"") <= line("$") | exe "normal! g`\"" | endif